The Holy Goat
In 1840’s Louisville, a community of German immigrants organized to build one of East Market Districts’s earliest structures, a two-story gothic church on Clay Street just off of Market Street. The church was situated on an alley where those very immigrants partook in a lively pastime of racing goats. The church would be consecrated the First German Methodist church of Louisville, Zion Kirche, in 1843, and the alley would eventually become known as Nanny Goat Strut.
After its congregation built a larger home down the street in the 1880’s, the building underwent a century of use as a warehouse by various Louisville businesses. It then sat vacant for decades before a naïve couple of New Yorkers with Southern roots and a nine-month-old baby purchased and began redeveloping the property as The Holy Goat. That was in January of 2016.
By the end of 2018, the Holy Goat opened doors on its new configuration: two commercial spaces, four residential spaces ready for short-term rentals, and a shared courtyard. The bookstore, Nanny Goat Books occupies the first floor commercial space, and the couple relocated to Louisville with their growing child to be stewards of the historic property. You’re invited to book a stay in this space, filled with art and artifacts dedicated to the celebration of our nation’s Northernmost Southern City.